Control: 8.1 Ensure that the expiration date is set on all keys
It is recommended that all keys in Azure Key Vault have an expiration time set. Azure Key Vault enables users to store and use cryptographic keys within the Microsoft Azure environment. The exp (expiration time) attribute identifies the expiration time on or after which the key MUST NOT be used for a cryptographic operation.
As default, keys never expire. It is thus recommended that keys be rotated in the key vault and set an explicit expiration time for all keys.
- Login and go to
- For each Key vault, go to
Settingssection and click on
- Make sure
- Set an appropriate
Expiration Dateon all keys.
From Command Line
Command to update the
Expiration Date for the key
az keyvault key set-attributes --name <keyName> --vault-name <vaultName> -- expires Y-m-d'T'H:M:S'Z'
- In order to access expiration time on all keys in Azure Key Vault using Microsoft API requires List Key permission
- By default, keys do not expire
- To provide required access follow below steps
- Go to Key vaults
- For each Key vault, click on Access Policy
- Add access policy with Key permission as
steampipe check azure_compliance.control.cis_v130_8_1
This control uses a named query:keyvault_key_expiration_set