Control: 6.2.11 Ensure 'log_executor_stats' database flag for Cloud SQL PostgreSQL instance is set to 'off'
The PostgreSQL executor is responsible to execute the plan handed over by the PostgreSQL planner. The executor processes the plan recursively to extract the required set of rows. The log_executor_stats flag controls the inclusion of PostgreSQL executor performance statistics in the PostgreSQL logs for each query. Default value for log_executor_stats flag is off.
The log_executor_stats flag enables a crude profiling method for logging PostgreSQL executor performance statistics which even though can be useful for troubleshooting, it may increase the amount of logs significantly and have performance overhead.
- Login to GCP console and navigate to Cloud SQL Instances.
- Select the PostgreSQL instance for which the database flag needs to be enabled.
- Click EDIT.
- Scroll down to the Flags section.
- Click ADD FLAG, choose the
log_executor_statsfrom the drop-down menu, and set to
- Click SAVE.
- Confirm the changes under Flags on the Overview page.
From Command Line:
- List all Cloud SQL database instances using the following command
gcloud sql instances list
- Configure the log_executor_stats database flag for every Cloud SQL PostgreSQL database instance using the below command
gcloud sql instances patch INSTANCE_NAME --database-flags log_executor_stats=off
- This command will overwrite all previously set database flags. To keep those and add new ones, include the values for all flags to be set on the instance. Any flag not specifically included is set to its default value. For flags that do not take a value, specify the flag name followed by an equals sign ("=").
- Configuring the above flag does not require restarting the Cloud PostgreSQL instance.
steampipe check gcp_compliance.control.cis_v120_6_2_11
This control uses a named query:sql_instance_postgresql_log_executor_stats_database_flag_off