Control: 6.3.2 Ensure that the 'cross db ownership chaining' database flag for Cloud SQL SQL Server instance is set to 'off'
It is recommended to set
cross db ownership chaining database flag for Cloud SQL SQL Server instance to
Use the cross db ownership for chaining option to configure cross-database ownership chaining for an instance of Microsoft SQL Server. This server option allows you to control cross-database ownership chaining at the database level or to allow cross-database ownership chaining for all databases.
Enabling cross db ownership is not recommended unless all of the databases hosted by the instance of SQL Server must participate in
crossdatabase ownership chaining and you are aware of the security implications of this setting.
This recommendation is applicable to SQL Server database instances.
- Login in to Cloud SQL Instances
- Select the SQL Server instance for which you want to enable to database flag.
- Under Configuration section
- Scroll down to the
Database flagssection. Click on Edit Configurations
- In the edit page, navigate to Flags and Parameters section
- To set a flag that has not been set on the instance before, click Add item, choose the flag
cross db ownership chainingfrom the drop-down menu, and set its value to
- Click Save to save your changes.
- Confirm your changes under Flags on the Overview page.
Note: Any changes to the database flag values, may require your instance to be restarted
From Command Line
- List all Cloud SQL database Instances
gcloud sql instances list
- Configure the required database flag for every Cloud SQL SQL Server database instance using the below command.
gcloud sql instances patch INSTANCE_NAME --database-flags "cross db ownership chaining=off"
Note: This command will overwrite all database flags previously set. To keep those and add new ones, include the values for all flags you want set on the instance; any flag not specifically included is set to its default value. For flags that do not take a value, specify the flag name followed by an equals sign ("=").
steampipe check gcp_compliance.control.cis_v120_6_3_2
This control uses a named query:sql_instance_sql_cross_db_ownership_chaining_database_flag_off