Control: 6.6 Ensure that Cloud SQL database instances do not have public IPs
It is recommended to configure Second Generation SQL instance to use private IPs instead of public IPs.
To lower the organization's attack surface, Cloud SQL databases should not have public IPs. Private IPs provide improved network security and lower latency for your application.
This recommendation is applicable for PostgreSQL, MySQL generation 1, MySQL generation 2 and SQL Server 2017 instances.
- Login in to Cloud SQL Instances
- Select the SQL Server instance to open details page.
- Select the
- Deselect the Public IP checkbox.
- Click Save to update the instance.
From Command Line
- For every instance remove its public IP and assign a private IP instead:
gcloud beta sql instances patch INSTANCE_NAME --network=VPC_NETWOR_NAME --noassign-ip
- Confirm the changes using the following command:
gcloud sql instances describe INSTANCE_NAME
Note: By default, Cloud SQL instances have a public IP.
steampipe check gcp_compliance.control.cis_v120_6_6
This control uses a named query:sql_instance_with_no_public_ips